Senior Geotechnical – Technologist
- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety
- Work with an exceptional team of operations and productivity people
- Opportunity to introduce and implement continuous improvement initiatives
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Geotechnical Technologist to be responsible for “Pit safety” through compliance monitoring, visual inspections and data collection for the mining operation in Labrador City.
Reporting to the Mine Technical Services Superintendent, this role will also be required to support the Geotechnical Engineers/Geologist in the maintenance and monitoring of specialized geotechnical monitoring equipment such as the Automated Total station and prism arrays, TDR/SSA instrumentation and multiple Open Pit Slope Stability Radar (SSR) systems.
Located at the Carol Lake project in Labrador City, you will be working on an 8 hour/day 5 days a week.
The main responsibilities will be:
- Performing daily and weekly visual geotechnical inspections;
- Collecting geotechnical instrumentation data;
- Keeping geotechnical data current and accurate;
- Maintaining the Slope Stability Radar pit slope monitoring systems;
- Maintaining the current data management systems for geotechnical related projects;
- Assisting in the development of new data management systems where required to increase efficiency;
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of geotechnical monitoring tools;
- Providing project supervision and engineering support for small site based projects;
- Responding to geotechnical monitoring system alarms per safety protocols and training;
- Ensuring that all monitoring equipment is calibrated regularly and that complete calibration history records are kept on file.
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
• Diploma in civil, geological, or mining technology;
• Minimum 2 years of experience with the construction and monitoring of rock excavations, dams, dikes, or other engineered works;
• Hands-on experience in construction, excavation, monitoring instrumentation, and/or technical field services would be an advantage;
• Experience in structural stability monitoring, data analysis, and reporting;
• Knowledge of geotechnical and hydrogeological data logging and instrumentation;
• Knowledge of IT structure including network, radio and wireless integration into geotech platforms
• Knowledge of instrumentation installations and equipment maintenance;
• Knowledge of geotechnical data management systems;
• Knowledge of geotechnical research and analysis methods;
• Working knowledge of VULCAN, AutoCad and civil engineering design standards;
• Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team;
• Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Where you will be working
The Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOC) is a leading Canadian producer of iron ore concentrate and iron ore pellets that serves customers worldwide. The company operates a mine, a concentrator and a pelletizing plant in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities in Sept-Îles, Quebec. It also operates a 418 kilometer railroad that links the mine to the port.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.