Operations Manager (Energy Management)
Headquarters – St. John’s
Competition #: 2019.006.OPS
Salary Scale (HL- 20): $62,796 – $81,635
Reporting to the Director of Facilities & Custodial Management, this position is accountable for ensuring the efficient energy management of 250+ NLESD buildings and works collaboratively with facilities managers, school administrators and trades staff of the District. This position provides managerial oversight to all areas of energy management and efficiency as well as provides advice, education and training in energy management, including theory and best practices, to key stakeholders.
The Operations Manager (Energy Management) is responsible for:
- Managing the operation (by local/regional operators) of energy management systems at all sites to ensure NLESD buildings are operating as efficiently as possible given existing building conditions.
- Analyzing energy consumption data and other related building system information and making recommendations (including cost-benefit analyses) to improve the energy efficiency of buildings while maintaining thermal comfort.
- Developing and maintaining a district-wide database of HVAC equipment to support a documented maintenance program for this equipment.
- Communicating with and advising key stakeholders on planned or ongoing maintenance projects and priorities, HVAC work in existing buildings and/or new construction design, and actions that will be(or was) taken to rectify problems such as heating, ventilation, lighting, etc.
- Drafting and/or evaluating purchasing specifications in relation to HVAC & Controls.
- Acting as the NLESD representative in commissioning HVAC systems and controls at new buildings (schools built by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador).
- Supporting applicable facility managers with the scheduling and supervising of various trades staff and school maintenance staff as required for the maintenance and repair work of all District schools’ HVAC and controls systems.
- Inspecting relevant school building’s systems and equipment for needed repair and maintenance work.
- Planning and coordinating major HVAC/controls projects; estimating labour and material costs for replacement, repair, alterations and improvements to building systems and equipment; ordering materials and supplies; testing, selecting and purchasing HVAC/controls maintenance supplies and equipment.
- Inspecting and evaluating the work of internal/external trades and maintenance staff, technicians, and contractors while work is both in progress and upon completion, to ensure compliance with contractual obligations, building codes, and best practices.
- Assisting with response to emergency maintenance concerns after hours and on weekends.
- Ensuring NLESD compliance with all relevant legislation (e.g. Public Safety Act, OHS Act, Public Tender Act, Boiler Pressure Vessel & Compressed Gas Act, etc.) related to this role; liaising with relevant Government and/or external Inspectors to ensure all safety items related to facilities are corrected.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates must demonstrate thorough operational knowledge of building automation and HVAC systems, building code standards required by legislation (specifically Boiler Pressure Vessel & Compressed Gas Act & Regulations); OHS safety standards; as well as construction and energy management practices and methodologies. Candidates must demonstrate strong troubleshooting/analytical and solution based implementation skills. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, as well as strong written and verbal communication skills are essential to this position. Experience in supervision of staff/contractors, inspections of major repair and capital construction projects, and maintenance of geothermal systems, would be considered assets.
These qualifications would normally be acquired through completion a three (3) year diploma with certification (CET/PTech) and significant relevant work experience. A Class 05 driver’s license and regular travel with the use of a personal vehicle is required. Registration as a Certified Energy Manager would be considered an asset.
Deadline and Delivery
Apply in confidence, indicating competition number, by forwarding résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: Tuesday, October 8th, 2019
The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District is committed to employing a diverse workforce and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. A Police Records Check with a Vulnerable Sector Query, from the local police authority will be required. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.