Junior Civil/Geomatics Technologist
Farrell’s Excavating Ltd. – St. John’s, NL
Farrell’s Excavating has operated on the Avalon and surrounding areas for over 25 years. In that time, the technology for heavy equipment has improved immensely. FEL has an will be expanding its fleet of GPS indicate, GPS robotic and mmGPS robotics machine control heavy equipment. These systems require RTK GPS and possibly mm transmitter units to be set-up and running during the entirety of a piece of machinery’s operation. To correctly maintain and utilize this equipment a successful hire would need to be able to adapt to a rapidly evolving digital environment on many heavy civil construction projects.
- Set-up GPS and mm transmitter units from geodetic monuments following manufacturers specification over sites of varying complexity and size. Most hardware is Topcon.
- Have a robust ability to recognize issues with systems, whether related to interference, issues with data sources, or issues with machine control systems
- Conduct field surveys that accurately represent site conditions. Surveys may be as-built, original conditions, or consulting related.
- Layout of standard construction projects using traditional stake/lathe practices and using 2d and real-time 3d elements.
- Manage complex survey data by utilizing point codes, layer grouping, and point numbering
- Provide relevant data to foreman and supervisors during project execution and commissioning
- Import, export and track project data for many projects simultaneously
- Import and Export data for Machine control and field survey layout following a standard across all projects. Exports will be .dwg, .csv, .xml, .tp3 etc
- Work in all weather conditions during construction hours and, when required, prior to and following construction hours
- Hold a valid driver’s Licence and be able to travel. Potentially provide a Driver’s Abstract.
- Able to use MS excel and work with a Windows 10 environment
- Create and manage 2d data and 3d surfaces using Topcon Magnet Field for immediate quantity approximation and other general inquiries from foreman and supervisors
- Update software and execute command in MS-DOS on Topcon 3DMC software/Windows OS.
- Describe and highlight critical features of 3d Machine Control project files to operators
- Understand how to diagnose 3d machine control issues and maintain those systems
- Aid in tender preparation and post award required documentation.
- Work closely with the bidding team to compile information required to build accurate estimates
- Complete minor take-off and follow through with issuing quotations
- Experience and Education:
- Post-secondary education in a construction related trade (Civil, Geomatics etc) with a minimum 3 years surveying using GPS based technology
- Alternatively, someone lacking post-secondary but with ample surveying experience using GPS technology with more advanced functions may be acceptable
- Physically able to safely climb around heavy equipment to access hardware, traverse active construction sites including slopes, loose rock, ditches etc
The successful candidate will have the option for health benefits, standard vacation and others that will be discussed during the interview process.
Farrell’s Excavating is an equal opportunity employer. We offer an overall competitive compensation package.
Interested applicants should apply using this link: https://indeedhi.re/2SLXOMO
Or apply directly to Farrell’s Excavating Ltd. http://www.farrellsexcavating.ca/careers.html