HVDC Assistant Technician
Emera Newfoundland & Labrador (ENL), a wholly owned subsidiary of Emera Inc. (EMA- TXS), is responsible for operating and maintaining the 500-megawatt Maritime Link. The Maritime Link (ML) transmits energy between the island of Newfoundland the province of Nova Scotia. With office locations in both provinces, ENL is committed to ensuring that the Maritime Link transmits clean, renewable energy for Nova Scotia customers.
Under the direction of the Director, Asset Management or his/her delegate, the HVDC Assistant Technician is responsible primarily for ensuring the converter stations are operated and maintained to achieve world class reliability and availability to best serve customers in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support culture of a “Zero Safety and Environmental Incident Mindset”;
- Support the installation, testing, inspection, and maintenance of equipment such as transformers, circuit breakers, disconnect switches, relays, controls, IGBT valves, motors, pumps, HMI and SCADA systems;
- Read schematics and drawings to facilitate troubleshooting;
- Support and/or perform all O&M activities in accordance with engineering and manufacturer guidelines as well as good utility practice;
- Perform station and transmission line inspections and walk downs;
- Work as part of the small team performing any and all O&M tasks assigned;
- Perform facility management tasks as required within Maritime Link facilities including but not limited to snow removal, yard inspections, painting, maintaining control over spare parts inventory, etc.;
- Coordinate and monitor various contractors, including OEM Staff and/or sub-contractors for some maintenance tasks associated with sub systems at the station(s);
- Safe isolation and de-energization in accordance with approved procedure to facilitate maintenance and/or replacement of equipment;
- Support on call duties / responsibilities outside regular working hours.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience
As the ideal candidate you hold a Diploma in Electrical or Electronic Engineering Technology, Electronics Technologist, Instruments & Control Technician and/or an Industrial Electricians certificate, and bring a minimum of at least 1 year of related experience. Experience with major electrical transmission systems or power generation assets is considered an asset.
Strong technical skills in protection, controls, SCADA, metering and recording systems is required along with experience in reading, developing and troubleshooting control system functional logic programming and drawings. Additionally, you have knowledge in the use of instruments and testing equipment typically used in HVAC systems, HVDC systems or Generating Station infrastructure. You must also be able to interpret complex drawings and instructions pertaining to circuitry and work procedures and have a solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Due to on call requirements, the successful candidate must reside within a 70 km commute of the assigned converter station. Travel will be required, including travel to various ENL worksites in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. You will be required to work in remote sites, in all weather conditions. Proof of a valid driver’s license is required.
You will be responsible for your personal safety and that of your co-workers by observing all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations. You will be accountable for environmental performance as it relates to the environmental management system processes and initiatives. This position is considered a safety sensitive position. As such, the successful candidate must comply with the Emera Alcohol and Drug Policy which requires a confidential pre-employment alcohol and drug test in accordance with the Emera Alcohol and Drug Procedure.
At ENL, our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate for this position you speak up on health, safety and environment issues, and demonstrate a belief that all injuries are preventable. You support flexibility in the workplace and embrace change. As an HVDC Assistant Technician you build strong collaborative relationships with a commitment to a respectful, inclusive and productive work environment while demonstrating integrity and a commitment to operational excellence for our customers. Lastly, we encourage you to proactively ask questions and seek information to understand how your work relates to the business goals and make informed decisions.
Reports to: Director, Asset Management
Form of Application: To apply, please visit our website at www.emeranl.com and follow the jobs tab. You can upload your resume and covering letter in the online form.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline: November 19th, 2019. Late applications may not receive consideration. Apply Here
Recruitment and promotion policy: When filling vacant positions, we are committed to hiring the best candidate available providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
Emera values diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from all qualified candidates including African Canadians and other members of the visible minority community, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and women. Applicants from these designated groups wishing to self-identify may do so through a series of questions in the on-line application process.