At Marine Atlantic, we do so much more than get people from point A to point B. Whether it’s reunions, long-awaited trips home, or the start of a new adventure, we bring people together. We couldn’t bring people together every day without our own dedicated employees. Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for an Environmental Technician to work with our Health Safety & Environmental (HSE) Department at our Port aux Basques, NL location.
The HSE Department is responsible for the development and promotion of health, safety and environmental protection programs throughout the company, both on vessels and at our shore facilities.
Reporting to the Manager of HSE, the Environmental Technician is accountable for the provision of environmental expertise across the organization, including both, existing operations and new projects. A critical part of this position’s role is to provide professional input and oversight into the development, implementation and overall execution of a Marine Atlantic Environmental Management Plan (EMP). This role will also be actively involved with all aspects of the EMP, focusing on Risk Assessment and Mitigation processes. The Environmental Technician will provide technical direction on Environmental
Management to ensure alignment and compliance with the all applicable Environmental Acts and regulations, Corporate Plan and
strategic goals, in order to mitigate corporate environmental risks both ashore and on the vessels.
The Environmental Technician will also conduct field surveys and on-site environmental assessments, be the environmental regulatory liaison, and lead environmental management planning, and environmental monitoring on behalf of Marine Atlantic.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
Conduct regular physical site inspections and ensure all environmental risks are identified and appropriately evaluated
- Assist departments in establishing and executing on environmental risk mitigation plans
- Investigate environmental incidents, conduct root cause analysis, prepare reports, make recommendations on corrective actions
- Collaborate with internal clients, consultants, government agencies, NGO`s and other organizations on environmental related matters as required
- Ensure that requirements of government regulatory agencies are met and or exceeded
- Prepare environmental work plans, estimates, and proposals to fulfill business development plans
- Review and analyze consultant reports to ensure the Marine Atlantic EMP sufficiently monitors all aspects and impacts associated with our operations
- Provide reports and updates on all environmental activities to management
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity? Education, Certification and Experience
A bachelor’s degree OR college diploma in a discipline such as Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, or related discipline.
A combination of equivalent education, job-related training and work experience in a related position.
- Experience in aspect / impact assessment and field level experience in areas such as fuel management, air management, water quality, solid waste management, hazardous material surveys and abatement
- Knowledge of environmental assessment and environmental legislation at municipal, provincial and federal levels
- Knowledge of statistics and database management, risk assessment, and risk management concepts
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience with the principles and processes of audits, including audit preparation, fieldwork, audit presentation & post-audit activities
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications
Experience managing people and projects of an environmental nature
- Previous experience as a trainer
- Experience working in a unionized environment
- Environmental experience in a Marine Industry
- Experience working with Environmental program such as Green Marine or ISO
Why work for the Marine Atlantic team?
As part of the Marine Atlantic team, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training programs and development opportunities to navigate your career and chart your course for success. We provide a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm (Atlantic Time) on 16 April 2019.
All applicants must apply online: marineatlantic.ca/hiringnow
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. If you are a member of one of these groups, we invite you to self-identify on your application, cover letter or resume.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (email@example.com).