ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN IIC
Engineering Technician IIC
The Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation is a crown corporation whose mandate is to develop and administer housing assistance policy and programs for the benefit of low to moderate income households throughout the province. For more information, please visit our website www.nlhc.nl.ca.
Competition Number: 2019/20-031-703704T
Employment Type: 1 Temporary Position
Department/Region: Avalon Regional Office
Location: St. John’s
Closing Date: August 13, 2019
Salary Scale: $50,687 to $56,383 per annum (CG-33), 35 hour work week
The Eastern Regional Office maintains and supports all NL Housing rental properties on the Avalon and Burin Peninsulas through offices in St. John’s (Avalon Regional Office) and Marystown. A variety of programs designed for low to moderate income households and homeowners are also delivered. The region provides a wide range of services, including receiving and processing rental applications; administering rental accounts and lease compliance provisions; providing various client services and tenant relations; and monitoring, facilitating and administering property maintenance. Regional staff members are involved in the delivery of the Provincial Home Repair, Home Modification, Home Energy Savings, Partner Managed Housing, and Rent Supplement Programs.
This position is accountable for advanced technical and administrative work in the assessment, design, tendering and contract administration of maintenance and modernization construction projects. The incumbent will develop and/or review site plans, electronic drawings, specifications and tender documents. The incumbent will be responsible for the preparation of cost estimates for a range of work types. Overseeing work-in-progress to monitor adherence to contract documents and site safety is an important duty of this position. The Engineering Technician IIC prepares inspection reports and assesses and makes recommendations on progress claims and change orders. The incumbent supports the maintenance of Corporate Best Practices by conducting technical evaluations and conducting research on new building products, materials and equipment. Inspections and related work associated with the Home Energy Savings Program (HESP), the Provincial Home Repair Program (PHRP), and the Home Modification Program (HMP) may form part of the duties of the position. The incumbent will perform other related work, as required.
- Three year diploma program in Civil, Architectural, or Building Engineering Technology or designation as a PTECH (building discipline) by the Association of Engineering Technicians or Technologists of Newfoundland and Labrador (AETTNL)
- Related work experience (asset)
- Knowledge of building code/standards and building science principles
- Knowledge of design related to multi-unit residential dwellings
- Knowledge of scaffolding & fall arrest procedures (asset)
- Project estimating skills
- Contract administration skills
- Written (technical) communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal)
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to manage time and tasks
- Ability to use computer software and building assessment technologies
Conditions of Employment
- Proof of a class 5 driver’s license
- Confirmation of possession of a personal vehicle
- Acceptable Certificate of Conduct
Conditions of Acceptance:
- Willing to accept day travel (significant)
- Willing to accept overnight travel (occasional)
- Acknowledges requirement for use of a private vehicle (with business insurance)
- Proof of engineering technology diploma or designation
- Newfoundland Labrador Housing values diversity in the workforce.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Applications should be received prior to midnight Newfoundland Standard time on the closing day.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application submitted clearly demonstrates the required criteria and that all contact information is current.
This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with NL Housing. For more information about this opportunity, please call (709) 724-3002.
How To Apply:
Applications, quoting Competition Number 2019/20-031-703704T, should be submitted by:
E-mail: email@example.com (preferred)
By fax: (709) 724-3204
By mail: Attn: Manager, Staffing & Classifications, P.O. Box 220, 2 Canada Drive, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5J2