About the Company
Rising Edge Group is a high voltage electrical contractor providing safe, cost-effective, and fit-for-purpose project solutions to the power industry. Since it’s inception in 2002, Rising Edge has grown to provide wide array of services in the power, transmission, distribution, industrial, and renewables sectors. Rising Edge offers a complete package where we’re responsible from design, procurement, construction, commissioning, handover, and management of the project(s) for our clients. With over 4500 projects completed since inception, Rising Edge is rapidly expanding into new markets in North America; continuing to have a strong and resilient presence in Canada and rapidly growing presence in the United States.
Rising Edge is actively searching for a Sr. Commissioning Technologist to join our Atlantic division. Reporting to the Field Area Manager, the Sr. Commissioning Technologist is responsible to commission and test primary and secondary power equipment in the field which includes maintaining medium to high-voltage substation power delivery equipment such as breakers, switchgears, circuit breakers, relays and transformers. The Sr. Commissioning Technologist is also responsible for functions such as to mentor and educate Apprentices including reading and interpreting blueprints, Risk Management and industry best practices; and plays a leading role in setting up and operating standard as well as specialized test equipment to diagnose and analyze the performance of power delivery equipment on the job site.
As a Commissioning Technologist, your responsibilities include:
- Acceptance and maintenance testing of electrical equipment
- Installation, commissioning and maintenance of protection and control equipment in medium to high-voltage transmission substations
- Interpret blueprints, analyze test reports and recommend corrective actions.
- Work with high voltage equipment such as Circuit breakers, transformers, switches and control circuits for protection, indication and monitoring systems
- Be able to work with various types of manufacturer’s test equipment: (TTR, Omicron secondary test sets, Winding resistance, Omicron CPC 100, and CT saturator)
- Calibrate electronic equipment and instruments, when needed
- Supervise, mentor and train junior technicians
- Work safely alongside all members of the construction crew
Rising Edge would like to review your application if you meet or exceed the following qualifications:
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology from an accredited post-secondary institution or Degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years of field experience in High Voltage Industry and Substations
- Minimum of 4+ years of experience in Field Testing and Commissioning for utilities or projects for utilities
- Past supervisory experience will be an asset
- Experience in substation would be a major asset, ie. 25kV and 500kV
- Experience with relay testing with various equipment; Omicron, GE, Manta, Meggar
- Familiar with all apparatus found in a HV substation
- Past experience with testing software will be beneficial (Omicron Test Universe, Doble M4000, AcSELerator, Seimens Digsi)
- Competent and comfortable working with computers and spreadsheets.
Why Rising Edge?
Rising Edge is an emerging leader in the electrical industry and we’re passionate about building culture of excellence backed by the best and talented people. Rising Edge is a company where you can significantly grow your skills and career and achieve success. Rising Edge firmly believes in providing our employees with all opportunities to grow and learn through financial assistance in continuing education to performance assessments to career planning/mentorship.
The company’s founder built Rising Edge with the following core values: providing industry-leading customer service to our clients, persistent commitment to safety, and delivery of product/services that are complete, on-time and on-budget. Our strong track record of growth and a focus on sustainability mean tremendous potential for the future, both in Canada and the United States.
We thank all applicants for their keen interest in working for Rising Edge Technologies. Due to the volume of responses we receive, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Field Testing and Commissioning for Utilities or Substations: 4 years (Preferred)
- High Voltage Electrical Field: 5 years (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Required)
- St. John’s, NL (Preferred)