Assistant Manager, Maintenance
The Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation is a crown corporation whose mandate is to develop and administer housing assistance policy and programs for the benefit of low to moderate income households throughout the province. For more information, please visit our website www.nlhc.nl.ca.
Competition Number: 2019/20-013-700079P
Employment Type: 1 Permanent Position
Department/Region: Eastern Region
Location: Avalon Regional Office, St. John’s
Closing Date: June 10, 2019
Salary Scale: $58,430 to $78,150 on the Management Pay Plan (UNDER REVIEW), based on a forty (40) hour work week
The Eastern Regional Office maintains and supports all NL Housing rental properties on the Avalon and Burin Peninsulas through offices in St. John’s (Avalon Regional Office) and Marystown. A variety of programs designed for low to moderate income households and homeowners are also delivered. The region provides a wide range of services, including receiving and processing rental applications; administering rental accounts and lease compliance provisions; providing various client services and tenant relations; and monitoring, facilitating and administering property maintenance. Regional staff members are involved in the delivery of the Provincial Home Repair, Home Modification, Home Energy Savings, Partner Managed Housing, and Rent Supplement Programs.
Reporting to the Regional Maintenance Manager, the incumbent is responsible for planning, organizing/scheduling and supervising the work of management and unionized staff engaged in maintenance and modernization and improvement (M&I) work related to the rental housing portfolio of the Corporation in the Eastern Region (including occupied and vacant units). In completing this work, the incumbent helps to ensure that program goals and objectives are achieved through the effective administration of corporate policies and procedures, program guidelines, safe work practices, and the Collective Agreement. The incumbent is responsible for the review of in-progress and completed work to ensure that health and safety, work quality, and schedule objectives are met. The Assistant Manager works with the Regional Maintenance Manager to address major problems involving additional expenditure or delay. The incumbent actively monitors staff performance and leave issues for staff and consults with the Regional Maintenance Manager, Regional Director, and Human Resources, as required. As well, the incumbent ensures that corrective actions are taken and that performance and sick leave issues are properly documented. The incumbent assists with the preparation, monitoring and control of the maintenance related budgets and provides technical review for procurement of goods and services. The incumbent also participates/ chairs various committees, including on-site staff meetings. Other related work, including responding to tenant complaints and oversight of corporate facilities, are required.
- Completion of a three year engineering technology or related degree program
- Five years of related experience
- Experience supervising the work of others
- Supervisory experience in a unionized environment (asset)
- Knowledge of construction practices
- Knowledge of financial and work order management systems and business application software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) packages
- Knowledge of the progressive discipline processes and practices
- Knowledge of budgeting (preparation and monitoring)
- Knowledge of purchasing
- Supervisory skills
- Organization skills
- Analytical skills
- Ability to communicate effectively (written)
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal)
- Ability to work independently
- Relationship building
Conditions of Employment
Conditions of Offer:
- Acceptable Certificate of Conduct
- Proof of a valid class 5 driver’s license
- Proof of stated educational credentials
Conditions of Acceptance:
- Acknowledges the requirement for day travel (periodic)
- Acknowledges the requirement for overnight travel (periodic)
- Acknowledges the requirement for on-call
- Acknowledges the requirement for primary use of a private vehicle (with business insurance)
- Newfoundland Labrador Housing values diversity in the workforce.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Applications should be received prior to midnight Newfoundland Standard time on the closing day.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application submitted clearly demonstrates the required criteria and that all contact information is current.
This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with NL Housing. For more information about this opportunity, please call (709) 724-3002.
How to Apply:
Applications, quoting Competition Number 2019/20-013-700079P, should be submitted by
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
By Fax: (709)724-3204
By Mail: Attn: Manager, Staffing & Classifications, P.O. Box 220, 2 Canada, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5J2